Why Ants Can Be A Big Problem For Your Fort Worth Business
Is your business feeling a little antsy? Ants are a common pest problem around Fort Worth, TX, but too few businesses take active measures against them. But while they dont look too intimidating, ants can cause real problems in your property if you neglect to take the proper precautions and prevention efforts. If you see ants crawling around your Fort Worth property, you dont want to risk letting the issue get out of control. Lets discuss the different ant species common in Texas, and what Fort Worth residents should do to prevent them from infesting their properties.
Ant Identification Tips For Fort Worth Residents
All ants have segmented bodies divided into three parts the head, the thorax (middle), and the abdomen. Six legs branch off of the ants thorax, a short stinger rests on the end of the abdomen, and an ants head has two small antennae, pincers, and eyes.
There most common ant species found in Fort Worth infestations are as follows:
- Little Black Ants: 1-2mm in length; dark, black bodies. You can find these pests crawling around kitchens, bathrooms, and in the tiniest cracks imaginable.
- Odorous House Ants: 2-3mm in length; dark brown bodies. As the name suggests, these ants leave an awful smell similar to rotting coconuts.
- Argentine Ants: 4-6 mm in length; brown bodies. This invasive species loves moist areas, like the kitchen or bathroom.
- Pavement Ants: 2-4mm in length; dark brown bodies, lighter legs. These ants nest in the cracks between pavement or under sidewalks, though their mounds sometimes emerge from these cracks.
- Occasionally, Fort Worth residents will also come across the dreaded fire ant. These bright red ants measure 2-4mm in length, and their bites are very painful. Never let a fire ant problem carry on because this is one painful pest to have.
Problems Ants Cause In Fort Worth
Your Fort Worth business does not want ants crawling around it, and neither should you. Ants can risk spreading a variety of diseases to your staff and clientele, including Shigella, Salmonella, E. coli, and others especially if they contaminate your food.
Additionally, fire ants are a growing concern for Fort Worth companies. If these painful pests get inside, they are sure to leave agonizing bites on your customers and employees, and inevitably drive business away. A smart business decision involves preventing these costly pests before they move in.
Finally, ants can occasionally damage your property as well, breaking down the structures in your business over time. Before ants get indoors, you need to learn the best prevention measures to keep them out in the first place.
Ant Prevention Tips
A good prevention strategy includes both indoor and outdoor changes. The following steps can be taken to ensure that ants stay in the ecosystem, not in your business:
- Reduce indoor humidity: moisture issues indoors can weaken the wood in your business and invite ants inside, so keep indoor leaks and puddles to a minimum.
- Proper food and trash storage: Ants feed off your trash, pet food, and pantry, so keep food storage closed and secure, and keep your trash inside or far away from the property.
- Seal foundational cracks: this includes door frames and window caulking, as well as any other potential entry points for ants.
- Clear yard debris: Leaves, stones, and woodpiles make prime ant feeding and nesting grounds, and those pests will certainly move indoors if they find them in your yard.
- Remove standing water: Puddles can attract all types of pests, including ants, so its good to drain water away from your business and keep gutters clear.
For the best commercial pest control in the area, contact the pest control professionals here at Delta One Pest Management. Well do everything in our power to keep your Fort Worth property safe and secure from all the problems that ants can bring.